Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Redskins Will Always be Average

The Washington Redskins will always remain average as long as they keep their existing ownership. Here is what I think about the current situation of my beloved Washington Redskins.

First let me start with a little background. I have been going to the games since 1981 and have watched over 95% of the away games on TV (including meaningless games on my honeymoon). I consider myself a real qualified Redskins fan. Most of the people I hear on the radio are too young to truly understand what we are starving for as "old time" fans. They will never shake FedEx like we did every week at RFK.

Last year if anyone attended the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Ohio, you would have seen a crowd you will never see at FedEx (and I'm not talking about the BBQ competition). The crowd was the real old time fans from the RFK days. I thouhgt I was in high school again. I have the video and once I get it off my camcorder I will post it on this blog.

Here is my theory on why Danny keeps the Redskins average or below average. The reason is simple. Good old money, that's right money. Very simple, don't over think it.

The real fans do not buy season tickets and then spend money in the stadium. As long as the fans eat in the parking lot and spend $20 or less in the stadium, Snyder will continue with his plan. The plan is to make the experience so bad that most season ticket holders will attend one or two games (or even better, none) and sell the rest of the tickets to the younger 20-30 year old fans that come to the games to party. They get so hammered that once inside, thy will keep buying food and drinks. This is why the fans don't know how to support the team when critical situations come up during the game. In the old days at RFK, the fans were so smart, they knew when to cheer, when to stay quite, when to boo if necessary and when to appreciate good effort.

Or lets look at the person that can't afford season tickets. He brings his son or his family for one game. Most parents will make that one game the best experience they can afford for their kids. So they will buy food and souveniours and drop $500-1000 easily for one game, vs. the season ticket holder that comes to every game but only spends $20 in the stadium. You do the math.

Bottom line is that we are fighting an uphill battle with the current ownership. We need an ownder who truly loves the team and the players. How difficult is it to try to copy success? Just copy the Steelers or the Baltimore Ravens? It can't be that hard.

Follow me on Twitter @Redskins_Fans

No comments:

Post a Comment